2 ¾ cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
1 tablespoon chocolate sprinkles (jimmies)
½ tsp. Grated orange rind
3 glazed red cherries, minced
3 drops red food coloring
3 drops green food coloring
Decoration: green and/or red ready-to-pipe icing
1. Beat butter and sugar in a large bowl with
an electric mixer until blended. Beat in egg and vanilla. On
low speed beat in flour until blended.
2. Divide dough in quarters. Knead
cocoa powder and sprinkles into one portion, orange peel into another portion,
cherries and red food color into third portion and green food color into
3. Divide each portion in half. With
hands, roll each into an 8-inch log. Place an orange and red log
side by side. Top with a green and chocolate log. Press logs
firmly together to adhere and square sides. Repeat with remaining
4 logs. Wrap and refrigerate until firm, at least 6 hours.
4. Heat oven to 375'F. Cut logs crosswise
into 1/4-inch-thick slices. Place 1 inch apart on ungreased cookie
5. Bake 7 to 9 minutes or until firm and
lightly browned on bottom. Remove to wire racks to cool.
6. Pipe icing on cookies to resemble gift wrap
ribbon and bow.
|QUICK CHERRY DESSERT
For one 13-by-9-inch cake, 16 generous servings, you will
1 cup (2 sticks) butter or margarine 1 ½
cups granulated sugar
1 tsp. almond extract
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1 can (21 oz.) cherry pie filling Powdered sugar to
dust over top optional
1. In a large mixing bowl, cream together the
butter and sugar. Add the eggs. Beat until light and fluffy.
2. Add the almond extract. Stir in the flour
and baking powder. Mix until smooth.
3. Butter a 13-by-9-inch cake pan. Turn
the mixture into the pan.
4. Spoon the pie filling into the cake, in 16
spots, spacing 4 spoonfuls evenly in each direction.
5. Bake at 350'F for 45 to 50 minutes or until
golden and cake tests done. Filling will sink into t,-e cake while
6. To serve, cut into 16 pieces.
7. Place bottom side up on serving plate. dust
with powdered sugar, if used. Spoon slightly sweetened whipped cream
over each serving, if desired. This is great served warm!
For blueberry dessert, substitute blueberry pie filling
for the cherry filling.